Pages

Wednesday 12 June 2013

London Nightrider 2013

Well I did it! 100 km cycle ride around London at night in a time of 7 hours and 48 minutes total with a moving time of 6 hours and 6 minutes. The training paid off and I made it around... just. Enjoy the photos below. Here are a few highlights of the night:
  • Riding along with a large group of other cyclists, I felt like I was in the peloton on the Tour de France.
  • Being cheered on by random strangers on their way home from a night out as we cycled by at 3am.
  • Explaining what we were all cycling for to a passing motorist whilst stopped at a set of traffic lights. Just as the lights changed to green she shouted to me "You people - you're changing the world! Thank you!"
  • My wonderful husband Mark, who cycled the whole route with me, despite having done no real training just to be there for me and massage my aching shoulders at every break point.
Thank you so much to all those people who have sponsored me already or pledged to do so. Together we've raised nearly £500 for WaterAid. Your donation will make a massive difference to the lives of families across the world who don't have access the most basic human requirement - clean water.

If you haven't yet sponsored me but would like to donate, there is still time! Every penny really does count. Just go to http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/JoSouthernwood and hit the 'Donate' button.
Before setting off


 
Loads of cyclists in Central London
With my medal, totally exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment