Pages

Sunday 2 June 2013

Lask weekend of training

Just one more week to go until the Nightrider challenge. Unfortunately for me, training did not really go according to plan this weekend. Having planned my route and fixed my latest puncture, I set off on route 12 of the national cycle network yesterday afternoon only to get another puncture 6 miles from home. Luckily, it happened right outside Stevenage Station so I just hopped on a train back to Hitchin where Mark fixed it for me. Thanks Mark!

This morning I decided to give it another go, and what a beautiful day for it. I made a few adjustments to my bike first, changing the angle of my seat so it is less horizontal and attaching a bag to the seat post for snacks and supplies. I only had 3 hours but I managed to go 30 miles. That's a bit less than I wanted to do this weekend - I had planned a 40 mile round trip - but given that I did 2 hours of salsa this afternoon as well, I think that's more than enough exercise for one day. I had no problem with fitness or my legs getting tired but my shoulders were beginning to hurt again towards the end of the journey so I'll have to continue upper body strength training to help alleviate that. The changes to the seat position seemed to help too as I felt a bit less numb by the end of the ride.

This evening I have come to my bike only to find the back tyre is flat again. Seems like the patch didn't take very well so that's another job to do before next weekend along with fitting a bell, buying some spare batteries, bigger carry bag to attach to the frame and a spare inner tube. With any luck I will have some time to go for a final long cycle on Thursday this week which is looking like another lovely sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment